Published on July 30th, 2017 | by Zane Calhoun Johnson & AJ Reed0
Imperialism Equals Extinction
It is well known that the U.S. military is the preeminent imperialist superpower and thus the leader in global terror. What is less well known is that the U.S. military is also the leading contributor to global climate change. Since the Kyoto Protocol, it has enjoyed blanket exemption in all international climate agreements, and thus the frequent environmental disasters it is responsible for are understated in the media, if they are even addressed at all. Here are the facts:
- The military does not report climate change emissions to any national or international body.
- Almost 900 of the 1,200 Superfund sites in the U.S. are abandoned military facilities, or facilities that otherwise support military needs.The American southwest has also been subject to extensive nuclear testing. Many Navajo tribal lands have been polluted by long-abandoned uranium mines.
- Between 250 and 600 million tons of CO2 emissions have been exchanged since the beginning of the Iraq War in 2003, roughly equivalent to the amount that would be released by the detonation of 50 small nuclear warheads.
- The U.S. Navy plans to release 20,000 tons of metals and explosives into coastal waters of the U.S. Pacific Northwest over the next year.
- A quarter of the world’s jet fuel feeds the USAF fleet. In 2006 alone, it consumed 2.6 billion gallons–roughly the total amount of jet fuel consumed by U.S. planes during World War II.
- In 2008, the Army’s Strategic Studies Institute called climate change a threat to national security.
We accept the challenge to defend our planet from these threats. Whatever it takes. Duty, Honor, Planet is our motto. Join us to fight against the military industrial complex. We do this by fighting the domination the U.S. conducts through its military industrial complex. Join us to fight against the largest contributor to climate change.
End the bloodshed! Halt the collapse of our ecosystems! Workers and oppressed people of all nations unite!